Skip to main content

week ten

This week I thought a lot about Professor Coyne’s Music lecture, and it really hit me how music influences everything that I do. I listen to music when I’m getting changed, when I’m showering, when I’m eating, when I’m doing homework, when I’m walking to class. Obviously, I turn it off when I’m in class or when I’m talking to someone but for the most part I am listening to music. 


Dr. Coyne mentioned in class that music has the biggest effect on emotion, and she’s so right. For me, I feel like music is a balm or a therapy that helps my brain calm down and realize that everything is going to be alright. I love music.

Dr. Coyne also talked about Ashleigh Cox, a girl who was killed in an avalanche. The song that Dr. Coyne assigns to her is Soldier, by Gavin Degraw. Not going to lie, I definitely started crying when Dr. Coyne put that song on for the second time, because it had so much more meaning and even though Ashleigh died years ago, it felt like I knew a little bit about her because of her song.


This got me thinking, what is my song? I know what melodies I like, I know what genres I like, I know what makes me happy or sad or angry or numb or excited. But what song is about me? 

After some searching through my many playlists, I came up with a song that I love, and that I think is a part of me, and a part of my identity. But before I tell you about it, I want to talk about a soul. To me, a soul is your identity, your personality, your spirit rolled into one. In the Lord of the Rings, Sauron puts his soul, which was evil beyond belief, into the Ring of Power. In Harry Potter, Voldemort splits his soul into seven horcruxes to ensure immortality. Your soul is who you intrinsically are. If your soul is who you are, what would your soul song be? What collection of notes, rhythms, and lyrics would describe you? 


I chose the song Six, by Sleeping at Last for my soul song.


I originally found this song during a very dark time of my life, when every day was full of tears and anger. This song is about a person who is struggling to realize their worth in this world, but concludes that they need to let go of their fears and trust that they are a good person, that they are trying, and that they can live life every day. It gives this imagery of wanting so bad to be okay, to be happy and to let go of your fears, but genuinely not knowing how to. It says-


What would it feel like?

To put this baggage down?

If I'm being honest

I'm not sure I'd know how

I want to take shelter but I'm ready, ready to fight

Somewhere in the middle I feel a little paralyzed


I really really relate to these lines. I desperately want to be able to help people and do good in this world but sometimes it's so hard. 

I also love how this song is not a typical song, it doesn’t have a chorus or a bridge or even verses, instead it’s a long poem put to music and melody, and it works amazingly.  

Comments

  1. It really is crazy how much music consumes our lives -- I was even listening to music as I read your blog post!!

    Also thank you for sharing the song and how it relates to you! I just looked up "Six" and it is quite vulnerable. I love the combination of despair and hope in the lyrics.

    "But maybe I'm stronger than I realize" hit hard for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really grateful for your perspective on music. I feel the same way about it. It really does have the capacity to heal and help us. It is so great that you were/are able to turn to music for this comfort and healing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

week four

  This week was hard, it was so busy and so packed with so many details that I still don’t know if I’ve done everything I should have. You know what I mean? I feel like I make list after to-do list that I need to follow, but I always feel like my lists are incomplete, like I’m always missing something.  It makes it so easy for insecurities to creep in, like a little voice whispering "you aren't good enough, you can't do this" Have you guys ever felt like that? I wanted to talk about folklore again, Taylor Swift’s most recent album, but specifically the 15 th   song, peace.   This song is beautiful, I truly love it so much. It talks about a girl that is just settling down into what her role in this life will be, but she still is worried about how she will never give the person that she loves peace. I think Taylor is trying to talk about how her status as a celebrity, an incredibly popular and sometimes hated celebrity, will never allow her lover to have peace. She tal...

week two

  I watched the first half of the extended edition fellowship of the ring last night. I can’t tell you the absolute SEROTONIN that rushes into me whenever I hear the opening chorus of the soundtrack, or when Bilbo starts explaining hobbits, I really can’t express how much I adore the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Oh, it’s so flawed. However, it’s flawed in such a darling way. It tells the story of Frodo Baggins, an unassuming hobbit (tiny person with big feet, super adorable) that sets out to deliver the Ring of power to Mt Doom. Basically, he needs to destroy it. It’s so interesting to watch this movie again, and I feel like every time I re-watch it, I realize different aspects that I hadn’t noticed before.  I also love the soundtrack the movie uses. Whenever there is a moment where Frodo is feeling homesick, or he’s trying to sacrifice something, or he’s having a moment with Sam, the same song always comes on. It’s actually included in a larger song, called the Breaking of the ...

week eight

This week was c r a z y!!! I moved into my parents house again because everyone I knew was suddenly testing positive, and I have an endowment + sealing appointment that is coming up fast. Therefore, I’m in Logan, Utah instead of Provo. And I left my fiancé in Provo. It’s all very tragic, of course lol But for reals, do you guys have a person that it hurts to be away from? He’s been in quarantine all this week, and I’ve been chilling in logan, so we haven’t physically been in each other’s presence for so so long (read: literally only four days but this h u r t s). I can’t explain it properly, or in a way that sounds altogether rational. He’s just so amazing, and I miss him always. I miss holding his hand and laughing at dumb tik toks with him, and I miss his hugs and how cute he is, and everything just sucks, you know?  But hey, lucky for media! We’ve facetimed every day and talked about everything over text and calls with each other. It’s so comforting to know that even though I am...