Skip to main content

week seven

 So, this week was a rollercoaster. 

I’m supposed to be getting married in 3 weeks and endowed in exactly two weeks, but my roommate was just diagnosed with COVID and my fiancé is showing significant symptoms. Don’t worry, we are getting tested tomorrow. However, that leaves everything up in the air a little bit, and it’s a little bit terrifying. To top it all off, me and my fiancé have to quarantine away from each other, and we might not be able to have a reception at all, which is pretty wild. I never imagined not having a first dance at my wedding, you know? But it’s also been a good week! I got a lot of midterms done, and I read two whole books and I did get to hang out with my fiancé a lot before the whole COVID business!

So, this week has been a rollercoaster

Something that has always managed to help me calm down is music. Dr Coyne talked about this in her music lecture, but music is a major emotion regulator for me, I rely on it constantly. There is something peaceful about having background music when you are feeling so stressed. For me, music helps me to focus on the present instead of the constant anxiety I have about the future. This is horrible imagery, I’m so sorry I was definitely a weird kid lol, but when I was a kid I always thought that I would rather die than have my tongue cut out, because then how could I sing along to all the songs that I loved? Again, what a weird thought. But it shows how important music has always been.

As mentioned before, I have had a bit of a stressful week with unraveling my wedding plans and quarantining in my room. I decided today that I deserved to have a bit of a treat, so I turned on a random television show. I lost interest almost immediately and went straight back into my music. Passing time is easy with music, I’ve found. I’m very very grateful for music and how calming it can be. Media has a unique ability to calm everything, I think it’s really cool. 

Right now I am especially loving Lana Del Rey's most recent album, which is called Norman Rockwell. It's a little bit nostalgic and sad, but I think it encapsulates fall really well.

Do you guys have a favorite song that you put on when you need to calm down?

Comments

  1. Oh Mary, I'm so sorry that you're stressed! Keep going, and know that we're out here supporting you :) I think one of my favorite songs to calm me down is Bloom by the Paper Kites. I heard it a long time ago, but it's been on my favorite list for a long time. I hope things start looking up for you and that quarantine goes by quicker than you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang COVID for messing with life plans!! I'm glad you were able to find some music to help regulate your emotions. I have a "feels" playlist for when I get in these moods (although it often makes me even more sad, which is sometimes what I want lol). It includes some Demi Lovato, LANY, Noah Cyrus, Halsey, and many others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I am so sorry that you have to deal with that. Covid is the absolute worst. However, I am very glad that you have found a way of de-stressing and calming down. That can be a hard thing to figure out. As mentioned above, LANY is my favorite band. I love all of their music and it definitely calms me down when I am stressed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

week four

  This week was hard, it was so busy and so packed with so many details that I still don’t know if I’ve done everything I should have. You know what I mean? I feel like I make list after to-do list that I need to follow, but I always feel like my lists are incomplete, like I’m always missing something.  It makes it so easy for insecurities to creep in, like a little voice whispering "you aren't good enough, you can't do this" Have you guys ever felt like that? I wanted to talk about folklore again, Taylor Swift’s most recent album, but specifically the 15 th   song, peace.   This song is beautiful, I truly love it so much. It talks about a girl that is just settling down into what her role in this life will be, but she still is worried about how she will never give the person that she loves peace. I think Taylor is trying to talk about how her status as a celebrity, an incredibly popular and sometimes hated celebrity, will never allow her lover to have peace. She tal...

week two

  I watched the first half of the extended edition fellowship of the ring last night. I can’t tell you the absolute SEROTONIN that rushes into me whenever I hear the opening chorus of the soundtrack, or when Bilbo starts explaining hobbits, I really can’t express how much I adore the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Oh, it’s so flawed. However, it’s flawed in such a darling way. It tells the story of Frodo Baggins, an unassuming hobbit (tiny person with big feet, super adorable) that sets out to deliver the Ring of power to Mt Doom. Basically, he needs to destroy it. It’s so interesting to watch this movie again, and I feel like every time I re-watch it, I realize different aspects that I hadn’t noticed before.  I also love the soundtrack the movie uses. Whenever there is a moment where Frodo is feeling homesick, or he’s trying to sacrifice something, or he’s having a moment with Sam, the same song always comes on. It’s actually included in a larger song, called the Breaking of the ...

week eight

This week was c r a z y!!! I moved into my parents house again because everyone I knew was suddenly testing positive, and I have an endowment + sealing appointment that is coming up fast. Therefore, I’m in Logan, Utah instead of Provo. And I left my fiancé in Provo. It’s all very tragic, of course lol But for reals, do you guys have a person that it hurts to be away from? He’s been in quarantine all this week, and I’ve been chilling in logan, so we haven’t physically been in each other’s presence for so so long (read: literally only four days but this h u r t s). I can’t explain it properly, or in a way that sounds altogether rational. He’s just so amazing, and I miss him always. I miss holding his hand and laughing at dumb tik toks with him, and I miss his hugs and how cute he is, and everything just sucks, you know?  But hey, lucky for media! We’ve facetimed every day and talked about everything over text and calls with each other. It’s so comforting to know that even though I am...