This week I watched a scary movie called Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.
According to my roommates, it was not a scary movie. Instead, it was a slightly funny comedy with a predictable ending. The girl and the guy got together, a few people died/disappeared, and the conclusion was not final, so all in all it was a predictable plot with an unfantastic end.
But I was terrified.
I think it’s because of the imagery, but also because one of the characters that goes missing is a boy that looks so much like my little brother, Jeshua. Jeshua and I have been buddies and best friends ever since he was born when I was 6. He’s just the sweetest boy, and I love him so much. I haven’t been able to see him for a while, because my family moved to Logan, Utah, and I don’t have a car I can use. He has really curly hair that kinda goes everywhere, and he’s so cool. The boy in the movie also cracked a lot of jokes like Jeshua, and his hair was really curly. Right before his disappearance to his worst fear, the boy in the movie is panicking and trying to run away from his fate, and I just cried and cried and felt so much terror for this poor kid! Then, he was gone. and the rest of the movie was still horrible.
I think it’s amazing how media can help your empathy grow, even if it’s in a scary movie. All I could think about is how this kid related to my brother and how much I could feel for him. To me, this just shows the power of media and its influence on our emotions.
I like scary movies! I just don’t like ones that show boys like my little brother getting hurt, I guess. That’s a pretty specific sub-genre that I’m sure I can stay away from, though.
It's amazing how much we can connect to the things we watch and how it can make us feel!
ReplyDeleteWow I can relate to this, I have three little brothers and I can't stand the thought of anything happening to them. Also, I'm terrible with scary movies so that would be a crazy combo. Media really can affect us personally! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteIt is so crazy how much media can impact us and our emotions! I haven't had any experiences quite like this, but I definitely have been deeply touched in many ways by media!
ReplyDelete