I watched the first half of the extended edition fellowship of the ring last night. I can’t tell you the absolute SEROTONIN that rushes into me whenever I hear the opening chorus of the soundtrack, or when Bilbo starts explaining hobbits, I really can’t express how much I adore the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Oh, it’s so flawed. However, it’s flawed in such a darling way.
It tells the story of Frodo Baggins, an unassuming hobbit (tiny person with big feet, super adorable) that sets out to deliver the Ring of power to Mt Doom. Basically, he needs to destroy it. It’s so interesting to watch this movie again, and I feel like every time I re-watch it, I realize different aspects that I hadn’t noticed before.
I also love the soundtrack the movie uses. Whenever there is a moment where Frodo is feeling homesick, or he’s trying to sacrifice something, or he’s having a moment with Sam, the same song always comes on. It’s actually included in a larger song, called the Breaking of the Fellowship, which is primarily instrumental. However, at the end of the song, a voice starts to sing these words:
When the cold of winter comes
Starless night will cover day
In the veiling of the sun
We will walk in bitter rain
This part of the song shows the pain that Frodo is going through. When you think about it, although the whole fellowship underwent incredible hardship over their long journey, Frodo is the one that has the most trauma. He carries an incredibly evil artefact for a full year, and he only fully falls under its influence at the very end. It shows how strong this tiny hobbit is, and how much he had to endure. The first verse shows the initial hopelessness that Frodo’s quest brought him. In the Fellowship of the Ring, there is example after example of Frodo trying to come to terms with leaving the fellowship and traveling to Mordor by himself. He truly believes that he needs to complete this alone, which is killing him inside. You can see it.
But in dreams
I can hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again
I see this part of the song as Frodo thinking that he will never see the Shire (his homeland) ever again, except for in dreams. His family, his life, his friends have all become a part of his abstract wanderings as he leaves the fellowship at the end of the movie.
When the seas and mountains fall
And we come, to end of days
In the dark I hear a call
Calling me there,
I will go there
And back again
As you probably know, however, Sam forces Frodo to allow him to follow Frodo to Mordor. I think this part of the song shows how Frodo may be worried about the world and its trouble, but now he knows that he will not be alone at the end of all things. He has someone by his side to go there and back again. He realizes that he does have hope that he will see the Shire again, and that his effort to destroy the Ring will allow so many people to live their lives in happiness. At the end of the song, he wants to come back again.
I love the message of Frodo and the Ring, how hope and love and friendship can help you through your darkest times, and help you see the light that will come.

Love this movie! The soundtrack is amazing, but I especially love the message of hope in impossible circumstances. It's that notion of "hoping against hope" that is just so human, and represented so well in the trilogy.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that there are other Lord of the Rings fans in this class! When my husband I first started dating, it blew my mind that he had never seen LotR. The series is so detailed and full of really powerful motifs. Especially of the power of friends and as ^ says "hope in impossible circumstances".
ReplyDeleteThis is so awesome! I love it when a movie (or any sort of media) can have a positive message that just leaves you feeling recharged. This blog post makes me want to dive deeper in the Lord of the Rings and watch it more often!
ReplyDeleteYou made this movie sound amazing. I have never seen it but after reading this I definitely need to go see it. - Abrielle Tolman
ReplyDeleteYeah the Lord of the Rings trilogy is such a well-made story. Its such a cool world that Tolkien creates but he also gives us so much to learn from his books. And then the movies were pretty good at making us truly appreciate this triology by providing powerful music, good actors/actresses, and providing a beautiful set. They are such legendary movies.
ReplyDeleteThis is dope, I don't watch this but it definitely cool to see.
ReplyDeleteI am a HUGE fan of soundtracks and film scores. They tell so much about a movie! I don't know much about Lord of the Rings, so thank you for breaking this down for me! Maybe I'll watch it now!
ReplyDeleteI have never watched the Lord of the Rings (something I know is very disappointing) but I am a sucker for a good movie soundtrack, so I will definitely have to check it out. I love your post because I can tell how passionate you are and it makes reading it all so much more interesting!
ReplyDeleteI love Lord of the Rings and I love your analysis of the soundtrack! Now that you've walked me through your observations and interpretation, I feel like I understand the characters and plot on a new level. I think music adds so much depth to movies and shows, the music really does help tell the story.
ReplyDelete